Associate or Full Professor of Social Justice Education
The strong commitment of the Department of Studies and Teaching to diversity is reflected in the Ph.D. Program Enrollment. Currently, 78% are black students, 69% are women, and many are the first in their families to pursue higher education. In addition, global learning plays a central role in the program. Each cohort includes members residing outside the United States, and all students attend a pre-graduation seminar on globalization and participate in at least one global educational experience. As a fully social justice-focused online program, we welcome applicants with experience in doctoral programs who can bring a vision and commitment to continuous innovation, process improvement, and strategic planning. For more information on our WASC-accredited program, visit www.sandiego.edu/teach.
The Department of Learning and Teaching at the University of San Diego is seeking qualified applicants for a 9-month, full-time, tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Associate or Full Professor in our Ph.D. in Education for Social Justice program to provide strategic and innovative vision and programmatic leadership to serve our very diverse student population. Scholarships, teaching or fellowships can support the work during the summer months if desired. We are seeking a dynamic and engaged scholar with a proven commitment to high-quality, student-centered pedagogy and critical scholarship. The candidate will work with the Director of Online Programs and faculty to identify emerging needs and trends in the Ph.D. in the Education for Social Justice program.
- This position includes teaching and consulting duties at doctoral level in the online Ph.D. Program. Preference is given to candidates who can effectively design and teach high quality online courses, advise candidates on their dissertation research, and collaborate with the Director of Online Programs and faculty on program design, implementation, and evaluation. It is expected that the administration of the proficiency tests, the candidacy colloquia and the dissertation defense will be supervised.
- Active engagement in collaborative processes to improve the student experience, such as B. Skills in fostering student community and fostering positive and healthy group dynamics within the complex situated contexts of race and social justice.
- The faculty member will support our Holmes Scholars in our new Holmes Scholarship program. The Holmes Program provides mentoring, peer support, and professional development opportunities for graduate students who identify themselves as racially and ethnically diverse pursuing a graduate degree in education from member institutions of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE).
- Faculty members must have an active research agenda to create research opportunities through grants to support student research and be willing to work interdisciplinary collaboratively within the school and university.
- Other responsibilities include collaborating with doctoral programs at other universities, maintaining a profile in research-related local, national and international organizations, and supporting the director of the Ph.D. program, student admissions, and general department and university service, including department and school-wide meetings; Participation in departmental, school and university-wide committees.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego requires all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccination request process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Examination: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree verification requirement: Individuals who are offered a position in this position must provide official educational credentials for the purpose of degree verification.
Qualifications: An ideal candidate for this position should meet the following criteria:
- Completed doctorate in education or a related field.
- Proven teaching excellence in a PhD program.
- Proven commitment to social justice, diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Proven and active evidence of research and scholarship in academic venues as reflected in research grants, publications and professional presentations.
- Proven experience teaching in doctoral programs and advising doctoral students on their dissertations
- Proven expertise in technology or experience teaching online programs
- Proven expertise in one or more of the following areas: critical quantitative methods, school reform, higher education, adult education and professional development, and technology. Ideal candidates will have a strong foundation in one or more disciplinary traditions, including history of education, philosophy of education, sociology of education, and economics of education.
- Experience with online and asynchronous teaching desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
According to qualification and experience; Outstanding Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including: medical, dental, eye care, competitive retirement plans, tuition waivers, and faculty home purchase programs. Annual professional development funds and internal fellowship opportunities are available to support research, fellowship writing, global course development and conference travel. The duration is decided on a case-by-case basis. While classes are remote, with some synchronous sessions, candidates are expected to be on-site. Funding for relocation costs is possible.
Please visit the Benefits section of our website to view all the perks and benefits USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Achievements
Special application instructions
Click on “Apply Now” to complete our online application.
The complete application includes (1) letter of application summarizing teaching and research experiences and interests, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) official certificate of the highest degree obtained, (4) two sample scholarships and (5) three letters of reference.
In their letter of application, applicants should describe previous activities in supporting people from underrepresented or underserved groups as well as experience as lecturers in doctoral programs and in dissertation advising. Preference is given to incoming applications and evidence (one month from the date of publication), but the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.
If you have any questions, please contact the Chair of the Quest, Maya Kalyanpur, at [email protected] However, please send all application documents to the link provided.
If you have technical questions or difficulties, please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806 or email us [email protected]
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is particularly interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free campus. Visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree for more information.
To apply, visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/496212/associate-or-full-professor-in-education-for-social-justice
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE advertising agency with added value