Click here to download NBA All-Star x HBCU Student Art Showcase 2023
At the NBA, we’re passionate about promoting and celebrating the game of basketball. We delight hundreds of millions of fans around the world through the intensity of the game and the amazing athletic ability of our players.
Off the field, we have a strong commitment to building community, leading with integrity and innovating with purpose. In support of the NBA’s continued commitment to Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCUs), the NBA will work with current and recent graduate students from HBCU’s art and design programs to create artwork for the February 17-19 NBA All-Star Game To be created in 2023 Salt Lake City, Utah. In the third year of the NBA All-Star x HBCU Student Art Showcase, student artists and their commissioned artworks will be featured at NBA All-Star events, in press releases and in the media. The showcase also offers professional development, career opportunities, media training and increased awareness of HBCUs, their students and academic/sports programs. Past participants have included HBCU art and design students from Howard University, Florida A&M University, Albany State University and Central State University. The goals of this art opportunity are to celebrate, mentor and inspire the next generation of emerging, underrepresented artists and designers.
- Opportunity to participate in the art exhibition with commission paid
- Exclusive access and tickets to NBA All-Star events in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Artist biographies and artwork will be featured on NBA All-Star and throughout the NBA media ecosystem
- Students will work with the NBA’s creative team, participate in media interviews and be considered for future career opportunities
Expectations of a showcase artist
- Sign a work contract
- Attend virtual collaboration sessions, media interviews and NBA All-Star events
- Share your experience as an NBA All-Star x HBCU Showcase artist on social media
- Be a full-time matriculated or 2021 graduate from an accredited public or private Historically Black College or University (HBCU).
- Major or minor in one of the following acceptable majors: Graphic Design, Studio Arts, Illustration, Digital and Multimedia Design, Animation, or 3D Design
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a member of a historically underrepresented minority
- Submit an up-to-date resume
- Submit a short personal bio and essay about career interests and goals, your artistic style, and why you are interested in the NBA All-Star x HBCU Student Art Showcase (max. 750 words).
- Submit 5-7 samples of your original artwork/design
- December 12: Application process open for submissions
- December 30th at 11:59pm (PST): Deadline
- January 2 – January 6: Approval of the selected artist / notification by email
- 13th January: artist under contract
- January 16: Virtual tip-off meeting
- 20-23 January: Artist check-in session
- January 29: Final order artwork due
- 3 February: Artist video shoot (virtual) with NBA Entertainment
- February 17 – February 19: NBA All Star Weekend
Send application materials and/or questions to [email protected]
The application deadline is December 30, 2022. Submissions after 11:59pm (PST) will no longer be accepted.
Applicants who meet the above criteria will be notified of their invitation to the NBA x HBCU Showcase the week of January 2nd
2021 NBA All-Star x HBCU Showcase Artist – Atlanta
2022 NBA All-Star x HBCU Showcase Artist – Cleveland