KIOS RESEARCH AND INNOVATION CENTER FOR EXCELLENCE
Research Specialists – Research
title: Research Specialist – Research Associate/Postdoc
number of positions: One 1)
category: Employment contract
location: University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus.
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (www.kios.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus is issuing one (1) Special Scientist for Research – Research Associate/Postdoctoral Researcher position for a full-time position. The successful candidate will conduct research in the recently awarded Horizon Europe project “HVDC-based Grid Architectures for Reliable and Resilient WIdeSprEad Hybrid AC/DC Transmission Systems” (HVDC-WISE).
The HVDC-Wise project investigates concepts and proposes solutions to support the development of large-scale High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) based transmission grid infrastructures capable of bringing resilience and reliability benefits to the existing electrical system and to integrate the future large amount of renewable energy.
Who we are:
That KIOS Research and Innovation Center for Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and was upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence in 2017 through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. The center currently employs more than 180 people who are supported by third-party funded research and innovation projects. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunity employer.
What we do:
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for conducting cutting-edge research and innovation in the field of information and communication technologies with a focus on monitoring, control and security of critical infrastructure. These infrastructures include electricity and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunications networks, and emergency management and response. The center encourages interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance.
Why work at KIOS:
You will have the opportunity to work on various high-profile projects with major impacts on society and the environment, not only on a local but also on a global scale.
At KIOS we strive to create a multicultural, diverse and inclusive workplace and we strongly support continuous people development and development, both personal and professional, to achieve your long-term goals. We offer internal and external professional training courses covering both technical and soft skills.
The skills and expertise required for the advertised position include one or more of the following areas:
- Design, planning and operation of renewable energy systems.
- Design, modeling and control of HVDC converters and architectures and their integration into AC/DC transmission network infrastructures.
- Integrate HVDC control and protection with state-of-the-art cascading event simulators and HVDC-controlled transmission mitigation strategies.
The following are considered strong benefits (one or more):
- Technical know-how and experience in handling DIgSILENT PowerFactory.
- Probabilistic safety and resilience analysis and quantification of large, interconnected transmission networks.
- Integration of HVDC architectures in the investment planning of AC/DC transmission systems.
- Technical knowledge of decision making and optimization techniques and experience with relevant optimization software packages.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
- Problem Solving Skills
- team player
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Flexible and eager to learn
- Able to adapt in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- You have good communication, organizational and self-management skills
- Excellent knowledge of the English language
- Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in electrical engineering or computer engineering or a related field from an accredited institution
- PhD or equivalent in the subject areas directly related to electrical power systems or engineering and technology or another related field from an accredited institution
Conditions of employment:
The position is on a contract basis. Initially, a one-year contract is offered with a 6-month trial period, which can be extended subject to satisfactory performance evaluation. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and experience and ranges from €1900 to €3200. From this amount employee contributions to the Cypriot treasury are deducted. The 13th salary bonus is included in the monthly salary. Maternity leave is granted on the basis of the Maternity Protection Act 1997 (Ν.100(Ι)/1997) and the existing amending laws.
Interested candidates should submit the following articles online using the link: https://applications.ucy.ac.cy/recruitment.
- Cover letter explaining the applicant’s interest in a career with the KIOS CoE, along with the date of employment
- Short summary of previous professional experience, activities and successes (can be combined with the cover letter) (maximum 2 pages)
- Copies of certificates from BSc/MSc/PhD or other degrees
- A detailed CV in English or Greek
- Name at least two reviewers who can provide letters of reference.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible but no later than Friday 13th January 2023, 5 p.m. The evaluation of the applications begins immediately. The candidates will be informed by the KIOS CoE about the result of their application.
The University of Cyprus collects and processes your personal data in accordance with the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The University of Cyprus (UCY) is committed to promoting inclusivity, diversity and equality and eliminating all forms of discrimination in order to provide a fair, safe and comfortable environment for the entire university community, where students and staff members feel supported in both their professional and personal development within and beyond their multiple identities. To this end, UCY seeks to create the necessary conditions that promote and respect diversity and ensure dignity both in the workplace and in society at large. In addition, UCY has adopted specific policies to promote equal opportunity and to respect and understand diversity, while committed to promoting and maintaining a work, teaching and learning environment free from any form of discrimination, whether direct or indirectly.